13th Annual Event to Include More Than 300 Games, New Fan Experiences and Increased Ice Time
BUFFALO, NY – The Labatt Blue Buffalo Pond Hockey Tournament will return to Buffalo RiverWorks entertainment complex in what has become one of the most sought-after outdoor hockey tournaments in the region. This weekend, the tournament will celebrate its thirteenth year with gameplay and entertainment running from Friday, Feb. 14 to Sunday, Feb. 16. Nearly 120 teams of four to seven players will once again face off for their respective division titles, with more ice time than in years passed. Each team is guaranteed four games rather than three, increasing the total number of matches during the tournament weekend from 200 to more than 300.
“It’s pond hockey season in Buffalo and we couldn’t be more excited to once again host the premier pond hockey tournament in Western New York,” said Lauren Christopher, public relations manager, Labatt Blue. “This weekend will be packed with more than 300 hockey games, Sabres alumni appearances, new fan experiences, live music from Nerds Gone Wild and, of course, Labatt Blue. We can’t wait for the action to start.”
“We look forward to hosting the Labatt Blue Buffalo Pond Hockey Tournament weekend each year here at RiverWorks,” said Sean Green, director of athletics and sponsorship, Buffalo RiverWorks. “There’s plenty of entertainment on and off the ice, and we’re proud to partner with the tournament for the seventh consecutive year to celebrate hockey and Labatt Blue with our hometown.”
- Labatt Blue Accuracy Shooting Contest: Players and fans can compete to hit targets in the fastest time for a chance to win Labatt Blue giveaways.
- Live Music from Nerds Gone Wild (Friday, Feb. 14 at 8:00 p.m.): Plus performances by Midnight Kings, The Brothers of Invention, Tim Britt and Road Trip throughout tournament weekend.
- Tales from the Penalty Box (Saturday, Feb. 15 at 9:00 p.m.): Sabres alumni Matthew Barnaby and Andrew Peters will get together to tell unfiltered stories from their hockey days. Tickets are $20 each, available on the RiverWorks website and at the door. A portion of the proceeds will benefit Gordie Howe C.A.R.E.S.
- Labatt Blue Zone, Sabres Alumni Appearances, Games and Activities
Game Schedule and Competition:
Gameplay will kick off on Friday, Feb. 14. Players will compete across 15 divisions, including both men’s and women’s. Game play will run:
- Friday, Feb. 14 from 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 15 from 8:30 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Sunday, Feb. 16 from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
A full game schedule is available at www.LabattBluePondHockey.com/buffalopond.
Teams will be made up of approximately 850 novice, intermediate, advanced and elite-level hockey players, with rosters ranging from four to seven players, 21 years of age and older. Teams play a four-on-four format, absent a goalie.
Teams have more ice time this year, playing a minimum of four games instead of three. The winners will be named tournament champions in their respective divisions.
About Labatt USA
Proudly headquartered in Buffalo, New York, Labatt USA has imported Labatt Blue and Labatt Blue Light from Canada since 1951. Today, Labatt Blue is America’s top-selling Canadian beer. With a clean, refreshing taste, light color, slight hop aroma, good balance, fruity character and a slightly sweet taste, Labatt Blue has become the premier Canadian pilsner in the Great Lakes region and expansion markets across the United States.
First brewed in Canada in 1847, Labatt continues to carry on the tradition and heritage of the great outdoors.
Always enjoy responsibly.